Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Off To Goa!

On Wednesday (May 23rd) morning, Noel and family came to pick me up at the Shervani Hotel as scheduled (a little after 8:30 a.m.). We said good-bye to Louie and Margaret D'Souza at this point since they were flying off to Mumbai with Wayne Gonsalves for a few days before coming to Goa.

Checking in at the airport was pretty straight forward (since Noel was a veteran at doing this trip) other than the collective weight of our luggage being over the allowable limit and having to pay for the excess. Airport security was pretty tight (i.e. a lot more check-points than in North America). We had gotten to the airport earlier enough to have time for a coffee and to pick up some sandwiches for the no-frills flight to Goa. We also bumped into Wayne at the airport just before boarding since he arrived fairly early for his flight.

The flight to Goa was pretty uneventful and the few hours of R&R on the plane was very restful after the hustle and bustle of the last few days in Nainital and New Delhi. Landing in Goa was almost like landing in a different country because of the ocean, palm trees and warm tropical breezes. The temperature was not as hot as Delhi, but the humidity (apparently they had had rain the night before) made up for it.

As we waited for our luggage, my cousin Rosette Viegas with her husband George showed up to greet me. Shortly after, my cousin Lilia arrived with her children, Joaquim (Kim), Zubin and Thabitha. They all met Noel, Nayantara and Nicholas. Before parting ways, Lilia and Rosette updated me on their plans for me, and then we set off for Noel's house in two cars.

Noel very graciously invited my cousins to his house for tea even though he and the family had been away from home for almost two weeks (they had actually met up with us in New Delhi after vacationing in the tiny Kingdom of Bhutan). Only Lilia and her family took him up on the offer, and followed us to his house in Vasco da Gama.

On arrival at Noel's house which was only about 5 minutes from the airport, I was shown to my room, which was "super deluxe" with its own TV and air-conditioner. After dropping the bags in the room, I joined the family and my cousins in the kitchen for some tea. Here I met Noel's mother, Urminda, and two of his daughters, Tara and Nicole; Chantal was out at a friend's and Alisha was away.

After Lilia and family left, Noel showed me around the house which was both beautiful and extensive. We then simply relaxed and had a few drinks until dinner. It was nice not having anything planned for once. My first dinner in Goa was all one could have asked for, the highlights being mackerel racheiado (a.k.a. masala mackerel) and a great fresh mango curry.No matter how good the food in Northern India was, Goan food was what
had been waiting for and I was not disappointed on this night nor during my entire stay in Goa.

2 comments:

trainey said...

I am Margarets ex-husband. I have been trying to locate her for years. I'm not a threat so don't worry about that , (I remarried). A friend of hers has contacted me throught the years and wants to get ahold of her. (Debbie Degido)

trainey said...

I am Margarets ex-husband. I have been trying to locate her for years. I'm not a threat so don't worry about that , (I remarried). A friend of hers has contacted me throught the years and wants to get ahold of her. (Debbie Degido)